Figure Review: Hot Toys AVP Alien Warrior

The AVP Alien Warrior was released by Hot Toys many months ago. I bought the “AVP Alien Warrior” during its initial release but recently, I added the “AVP Alien Warrior - Repaint Version” to my 1/6 scale Alien collection.


Accessories

There are no accessories that come with these figures. Based on the box information, Hot Toys claim that the hands, feet and even tail are accessories but I beg to differ! To me, these are part of the figure and thus cannot be considered as accessories. However, the Repaint Version does come with a bonus 1/6 scale Face Hugger.

Head Sculpt

The head sculpt looks good to me. In particular, I prefer the smooth dome head which is slightly translucent, thus allowing one to see-through to the “inside” of the Alien head. The details “inside” the Alien head resemble some kind of organ or brain-like structure and that is cool.


Articulation

Basic articulation is good although some collectors claim that the paint on the figure’s body does come off easily when one handles the figure during assembly or posing. I have not seen these problems with my AVP Aliens despite living in a part of the world that is hot and humid almost 365 days of the year.

The articulation of the body is compromised by the fact that the figure is a bit “top-heavy”. Therefore, despite being able to handle some difficult poses, the limitation is that these poses also mean that the figure can’t stand on its own. To ensure that the figure can stand on its own 2 legs (using the tail as a 3rd leg or counter-balance), then the number of poses that one can achieve with this figure is very much limited.


Overall Figure

This is quite a cool figure overall. But like all Movie Figures, you either love it or hate it. For me, I am a great fan of the Alien and AVP franchise and these figures are thus among my favorites.


Overall Rating

For a figure with zero accessories, Hot Toys could do well to throw in some real accessories like Face Huggers and Chest Busters. Admittedly, these “extras” wouldn’t cost a lot to Hot Toys but would drastically improve the “buy-ability” of these figures for collectors and fans.

Overall, I would give this figure an overall rating of 3 out of 5 (3/5).

Comments