Figure Review: Sideshow Aayla Secura (SDCC 2008 Exclusive)

From Sideshow Collectibles, we get Jedi Master Aayla Secura as one of the SDCC 2008 Exclusives! Being very much a Star Wars freak myself, I was waiting almost impatiently for this figure to arrive in the mail and it finally came from the FedEx delivery van on 8 August 2008!

When I opened the box, my first impression was one of excitement. Sideshow has so far not disappointed me with their other alien Jedi offerings so far. These include Kit Fisto and Plo Koon.

Accessories

The figure is admittedly short on accessories. Unlike their previous Jedi figures, Aayla did not come with a second set of hands. Instead, only a “force-push right hand” is included in the box. Beside this, the only other piece of extra accessory is a “unlit” light saber. I consider the “lit” light saber as a must-have for a Jedi figure and thus, I did not really considered that as an accessory.

Gone from the set are the usual Jedi Holoprojector, Jedi Communicator and Jedi Food Capsules. Not that these are important because I don’t recall ever displaying my Jedi figures with these accessories but they are nice to have after all. This is especially so when the price per figure has increased a fair bit over the last one year or so.

Head Sculpt

The head sculpt is good. Although I find the “blueness” of the figure a bit overdone, but I think the artist who sculpt the head of Aayla deserves special praise for a job well-done.

Overall Figure

Overall, this figure looks quite good when fully geared. However, poseability is average due to the Art S Buck base-body. For my figure, I noticed that the wrists of both hands as well as the shoulders are quite loose. This means that I try not to “over-pose” the figure so as not to further “loosen” these loose joints!

Seriously, Sideshow should be using the new Prometheus body as the base-body for their upcoming figures because the Art S Buck base-body simply do not make the cut.


Overall Rating

I would rate this figure a 2.5 out of 5 (2.5/5).

This means the figure just make it pass my overall ratings. Considering the price point (at around USD$70 excluding shipping), Sideshow can seriously improve on this figure by at least providing some additional accessories here and there.

Comments